Changing the shape or size of your nose through plastic surgery—called rhinoplasty or a “nose job”—is one of the most popular cosmetic surgery procedures performed in the U.S. Women and men considering rhinoplasty at my St. Petersburg, FL, practice usually are very excited to schedule the procedure because it can fundamentally change their appearance in a way that boosts their self-confidence.
When patients come in for their initial consultation, I find that many are very well-informed about the procedure. But if you’re just beginning the process of researching rhinoplasty and looking for a plastic surgeon, your answers to the 5 questions below will help determine if you are a good candidate for the surgery.
Ask Yourself 5 Questions
- Is your facial growth complete? It’s fairly common for teenagers to think about getting cosmetic nose surgery. Statistics from the American Society of Plastic Surgeons® show that rhinoplasty accounts for about 50% of cosmetic surgery procedures performed on patients ages 13-19. But it’s important that the nose has finished developing before a young person gets a nose job. Otherwise, the results can be affected and increase the chances of needing revision rhinoplasty later. Most girls can undergo rhinoplasty by the time they’re 16, while boys typically should wait until they’re 17 or 18.
- Are you in good overall health? This may seem a bit obvious, but it’s important to have a clean bill of health before undergoing any elective surgery. Rhinoplasty is typically an outpatient procedure, meaning you’ll return home on the day of the surgery, but it’s still an invasive surgery. Healthy patients heal more quickly and have a lower risk of complications.
- Do you smoke? If the answer is yes, you’ll need to stop smoking for at least 3 weeks before and after the surgery. Of course, it’s best if you quit for good. Smoking restricts blood flow and can create complications with the surgery. It also prolongs the healing process, which means you’ll need more time to recover.
- Are your expectations about the results realistic? Some patients bring in “wish pictures” showing a celebrity’s nose to indicate what they want the results to look like. That’s fine, but it’s important they understand that they won’t look like the celebrity after having rhinoplasty. Cosmetic nose surgery can improve the appearance of the nose, but won’t completely change your overall appearance.
- Do you want rhinoplasty? This question should be answered by any cosmetic surgery patient. Sometimes a person who is comfortable with his or her appearance decides to get rhinoplasty because someone else in their life thinks it’s a good idea. If getting a nose job isn’t what you want, you won’t be happy with the results.
The more you learn about rhinoplasty, the better prepared you will be when it comes time to make important decisions about the procedure. And if you’re interested to see your potential rhinoplasty, look at the before-and-after pictures of some of my patients in our photo gallery.
If you’re researching plastic surgeons in the St. Petersburg, FL, area to perform your rhinoplasty, I invite you to contact our practice using the online form to schedule a personal consultation.