In St. Petersburg and the Tampa area, women considering breast augmentation have many options when it comes to breast implants. Decisions regarding size, shape, and fill material are all important considerations. Though double board-certified plastic surgeon Dr. Kailash Narasimhan can recommend the options that are best for you based on your body and your desired outcome, the decision is ultimately yours.
Breast Augmentation Before & After Photos
Female in her early 20s, healthy amd active, who underwent bilateral Breast Augmentation. with 375 ml silicone gel implants placed behind the muscle with an incision placed in the breast fold.... View Case
Female in her 30s, healthy and active, who underwent bilateral Breast Augmentation. with 450 ml silicone gel implants placed behind the muscle with an incision placed in the breast fold. ... View Case
Female in her early 30s, healthy, mother who underwent bilateral Breast Augmentation. with 450 ml silicone gel implants placed behind the muscle with an incision placed in the breast fold.&nbs... View Case
Healthy, athletic woman who underwent bilateral Breast Augmentation. with 450 ml silicone gel implants placed behind the muscle with an incision placed in the breast fold. She is shown 6... View Case
Female in her 30s, healthy and active, who underwent bilateral Breast Augmentation. with 350 ml silicone gel implants placed behind the muscle with an incision placed in the breast fold. ... View Case
In the United States, women considering breast implants have 2 main options when it comes to fill material: saline and silicone. Both types come with their own set of benefits, and Dr. Narasimhan will help you decide which one is best for your body.
- Saline implants are filled with a sterile saline (saltwater) solution. Saline implants are inserted and positioned while empty and filled once they're in place. This allows surgeons to use a smaller incision, resulting in a less visible scar. In the unlikely event of a rupture, the saline filling is naturally absorbed by the body. Saline implants are available to patients who are 18 and older.
- Silicone implants are filled with thick silicone gel. Many people believe that silicone implants provide a more natural look and feel. Because silicone implants come prefilled, they generally require longer incisions. However, silicone implants carry less risk of folding or rippling. In case of rupture, the silicone gel will remain in the breast capsule. Silicone implants are approved for patients 22 and older.
While dissatisfaction with breast size is the primary motivator for breast augmentation surgery, most women don't pursue extreme transformations. Rather, most want breast implants that look natural. They still want to look like themselves, just enhanced.
Breast implants are measured in cubic centimeters, or cc, rather than by cup sizes. As many women know, bra cup sizes often vary drastically from brand to brand, making them an unreliable way to measure breast implants. Measuring implants in cubic centimeters allows for much more precise results. At your consultation, Dr. Narasimhan will show you sample implants in different sizes so you can get a better understanding of what size looks best on your body.
It's a good idea to look at photos of celebrities or others to find inspiration for your own breast augmentation, but keep in mind that everyone's body is different. One patient's "too big" may be another's "just right." Dr. Narasimhan encourages all prospective patients to take plenty of time to decide which size is right for them.
Why Choose Dr. Narasimhan
Dr. Narasimhan stands out from other surgeons for many reasons, including:
- Meticulous surgical technique results in minimal swelling/bruising for a predictable, easy recovery
- Creates the implant pocket with attention to detail for fuller breasts that retain their beautiful shape
- Provides ongoing monitoring of results with rechecks post-op, at 6 weeks, 3 months, 6 months, 1 year, and then annually
Your own anatomy, coupled with the size and type of implants you choose, will mainly determine the location of your incision. Dr. Narasimhan uses several different types of incisions, but the 2 most common are inframammary and periareolar.
Inframammary incisions are made along the crease where the breast meets the torso. This location allows the surgeon a great degree of control during the surgery. Though all surgical incisions will leave some scarring, the discreet location of this incision makes it invisible in most types of clothing and swimwear. Because this incision does not affect the nipple, many women are still able to breastfeed after undergoing a breast augmentation with an inframammary incision.
Periareolar incisions are made around the areola, which is the area of dark skin surrounding the nipple. In general, this incision works best on women with larger areolas, though it may be appropriate for women with smaller areolas who choose saline implants. Because this incision follows the natural curve of the areola, the resulting scar blends in nearly seamlessly with the patient's skin.
Depending on the specifications of your surgery, other incisions may be appropriate. At your consultation, Dr. Narasimhan will evaluate your goals and help develop a surgical plan that safely and effectively creates your desired results.